Sunday, February 22, 2009

And then there was 28 and etc

Well it seems its for real...we have finally lost one of our G17 members. Sorry to see ya go Dave but its your life and I can't fault you for your decision. You will be missed and Haute won't be the same without you.

Wow its been awhile since I posted...
Let's see after Swear-in we left Conakry on the 8th got to KanKan in 14 hours (not bad or so Ian says). I think its around 900kilometers? I could be wrong but 560 miles in 14hours?! In America it would take like 30 minutes!!..37 if theres traffic pfft. KanKan was fun but only got to stay for a day ;(

On the 10th we packed our choses and we were off! Sajay, Nick, Paul, Sacha, and I were the first to leave and reached Kissi fairly quickly. My installtion only took an hour or so, getting my baggage off the SUV took longer then meeting officials. You think they would put my stuff on top since I'm getting off first? Nope this is the Peace Corps we dont roll like that. They put my stuff at the very bottom of the stack, just brilliant! And I'm not complaining the Peace Corps has a system of doing things and it only makes sense if you think real long and hard.

My first week at site was interesting...not many crazy stories or funny stories or crazy funny stories. Just a tussle with some carpenters, not only they got me to pay more...they had me wait longer they our set date and they had me carry my goods to my house! They know how to run a business, they don't need me to do anything for them what am I doing here? Home Depot can learn a thing or two from these Guineans. Mostly I read books, you can read a book real fast in Africa, I think its something in the water. I burned thru 3 in my first week, I gotta slow down or I'll be out of things to do.

My second week at site...which from my counting started last tuesday and has been a lot of fun. I've been getting visitors everyday or every other day ( I lose track of time here, I'm not saying it goes by fast cuz it doesnt) It's always fun to get Americans in town to just talk to.

Had my first African rain storm a few days ago, it was really really loud. I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't worrying so much about my roof leaking. I woke up every 30 mins to check my ceiling.

So being in Asian in Africa...boy I thought it was bad in the States (I kid, but not really)
I'll write about it some other time, I'm all blogged out. Your curious aren't you tho?? Admit it you want to know haha well you have to wait!

1 comment:

Edward Kim said...

Hey Ben! I've been reading your blog now and then it sounds like you're having fun. I'm impressed with the French. Keep up the blogging and when will you be coming back to the States?