Wednesday, April 8, 2009

So far so...

Needless to say but i'll say it anyways, its been awhile since i've written a blog. 2 months now? if my math is correct. What have I been doing and how have I been fairing you ask? Well overall not much and not bad. First few weeks in Kissi were spent getting my site in order. For example getting screens made and installed, some furniture made. Dealing with carpenters here is a pain in the face, but it must be done. Although I did get introduced to a group of carpenters who were friendly by Kim Mason another volunteer (G11). Had a few people roll thru town and got a few visits which was nice. Mostly we just got together for dinner and chatted. Bulk of my time was spent reading.

On March 8th I almost blew myself up which was pretty exicting. So I was trying to light my stove to cook my dinner, and I had noticed that my setup was a little strange, but didnt think it was dangerous. So I lit my match and was moving it toward the burner and I turned on the valve for the stove and it usually blows up with it lits. So I moved my hand back quickly so not to get burned and can you believe it? I dropped the match and it fell on top of my gas tank. The gas tank caught on fire because as I found out later it leaked near the main valve. I stood there looking at the burning tank and thought to myself, "shouldn't this blow up...soon?" it felt like forever but it probably was only 5 seconds. Time tends to slow down a lot in situations like this (Ask anyones that been in a car accident). But I stayed and decided to close the valve good move I should think, but before using my hand I used a towel so I wouldnt get burned. Another good move if I do say so myself. I had to sit down for about 5 minutes afterwards to slow my heart down but afterwards I continued to cook my meal cuz I GOTS TO EAT.

In the same week I went on a little bike ride, for those that know me well, know I'm not really a biker at all. Not that I don't know how to bike but that it's an activity that I don't usually spend time on. Anyways I didn't have much else to do so I hopped on my bike and went. It was 75km and I finished in about 5 hours. The last 2k was the hardest, but the deed was done.

Picked up my bamboo rocking chair and took the mail run back down to Kissi, I don't think i'll be doing that bike ride again anytime soon. After dropping off my rocking chair which cost a princely sum of 220,000 GNF I took the the mail run up to KanKan with a few people for my monthly regional capital visit.

KanKan was asi asi, but too damn hot. And involved alot of walking since the regional house is in the middle of nowhere. Came back a few days later to Kissi where I've been ever since.

Also on a side note:
1 shirt and 1 shorts stolen. Well played Guinea, well played.

Things coming up, IST (In Service Training) on May 4th-15th. The plan is to go to Conakry after IST hopefully in a Peace Corps car. I think I'll stay there for a bit for my 3monthly visit to the capital then try to get on the World Food Program flight to Kissi from Conakry.

Bye

3 comments:

Dorian (in Africa) said...

dude I almost blew myself up with my stove once too. I was boiling something and sitting on my couch reading and all of a sudden there was more golden light than I was used to so I looked over at the stove and there was a HUGE STREAM OF FIRE shooting up from the back of the stove, so I, like you, ran over and stared at it for what seemed like forever trying to decide if I should reach over and turn the valve off and thinking, "why hasn't the tank blown up yet?" Finally bit the bullet and reached for the valve, fire went out, hyperventilated for about 5 minutes but like you had to continue cooking. Can't be a pansy in Africa.

Caitlin said...

hi boo. whats shakin? come play in mamou. also me and my carpenter became bff ... hes the guy w/that restaurant/not a bar/sheep pen. who knew?

see you soon. peace.

Unknown said...

Ben,

Hey man, nice job on avoiding the explosion. Sounds like a scare, and I definitely can relate to the whole time slowing down bit.

And man, nice bike ride too. 75k, that's about 40 miles, and that is no small ride. I'm proud of you buddy, keep on riding!

M. Graves